Our "historical designation" building at 1207 W. 6th St., which houses our antique fan museum is a jewel and the last remaining classic victorian house on W. 6th St. The exterior, which typifies the style of San Francisco, has recently been painted wonderful colors you might see on one of the "Painted Ladies." Ornamental and functional woodwork, doors and windows, and chimney have been excellently maintained and the original fence still stands. This is the last remaining classic Queen Anne Victorian house facing 6th street.
Construction on the house began in the late 1890's, being designed by the famed architect Charles H. Page, who also lived in the house. A 1905 city directory lists C.H. Page at 1207 W. 6th Street.
Mr. Page designed hundreds of historic buildings in the Central Texas area. Some of his greatest works are: the Littlefield Building at 601 Congress Ave, the Travis County Courthouse, the Hays County Courthouse in San Marcos, the Williamson County Courthouse in Georgetown, and the Barr Mansion north of Manor. Historic zoning for the "Becker Wilde House", as it is known, was granted in 2004.
We have recently commissioned a historic plaque to be cast and installed at the location to commemorate the history of this house. The plaque reads as follows: